Gildrehaugen from Fyllingsvatnet


Estimated net time 1½-2 hours
Difficulty No difficulties, but a bit cumbersome in places because of lack of path.
Drinking water Only access to drinking water is from some small streams crossing the forest road during the return to the trail head.
GSM coverage Coverage throughout the route (December 2009).
Parking Room for a few cars at trail head.
Start height 52 metres
Vertical metres 210 metres for the roundtrip.
Trip distance 3.1 km
GPS-file X
Route photo



From Ålesund drive road E39 approximately 21 km from Moa, towards Åndalsnes, to the Skodje exit at Dragsundet. Turn left here towards Skodje, and drive 2.4 km. Then turn right where signed for "Engesetdal", and follow this road for 2.5 km until you see a forest road going off to the right. Park here.

Start walking by following the tractor road. There are to approaches to Gildrehaugen from here; either walk a little less than 200 metres along the forest road and head uphill into the open forest, and continue all the way to the summit in semi-rough terrain. Alternatively you can follow the forest road for 1.2 km and then head directly west to the summit, again having to combat some semi-rough terrain.

This route description assumes you exit the forest road after 200 metres, and then follow the alternative route back to your car.



26. December 2009

Elisabeth and me left home early this Boxing Day (Saturday) in order to have a quick inspection of our cabin at Fjellsetra. After having walked, on foot, to and from the cabin from the car park, we headed back down to Aursneset and got the ferry back towards the coast. Instead of driving home we did a small de-tour in Skodje and hiked Gildrehaugen. The weather was relatively grey, and it had snowed a couple of centimetres during the night, but the amount of snow was still almost insignificant, and certainly not causing any problems for hiking.

After having fought our way through the forest, and assumed we had reached the summit, we continued a little along the summit ridge to verify that we actually were at the summit. Some 50 metres along the ridge was sufficient to make us convinced, and we headed back down more or less immediately.

Photos 26.12.2009