Hjortåsen from Sørstrøno


Estimated net time 1-1½ hours
Difficulty No difficulties.
Drinking water Unknown.
GSM coverage Coverage throughout the route (March 2010).
Parking Room for a couple of cars at trail head.
Start height 57 metres
Vertical metres 225 metres for the roundtrip.
Trip distance 3.5 km
GPS-file X


Route photo

  Parking and trail head at Sørstrønen.
  Start of path to Hjortåsen.
  Turn right at this path junction.


From Bergen drive road E39 south towards Os. After you have passed the exit to Os you will get to an exit signed for "Strøno" and "Hagavik", in a round-about. Turn right here, onto the road "Ulvenvegen", which later becomes "Strønevegen". From the round-about drive 6.8 km to the Strøno bridge. Drive another 2.2 km and locate a bus stop on the left hand side of the road, where you can also park the car.

From the bus stop walk 100 metres back in the direction you arrived. Turn left and follow this road 300 metres to a sharp right turn. You will see a forest road going off to the left under the power lines. Follow the forest road uphill some 250 metres until the terrain gets flat. From here continue straight ahead, following the power lines, for 350 metres. Just as the path starts to go down-hill you will see a sign pointing to the right. Turn right here and follow this path north/north-east. Follow this path, which is signed for Hjortåsen in several places, all the way to the registration point at Hjortåsen's southern summit. From here continue north down to a small valley and then up to the summit with a telecomm mast. This summit is unmarked but there is no doubt what is the highest point.

The descent is best done by reversing the ascent route.



09. March 2010

I was spending the whole week at our factory at Hagavik, and after yesterday's miserable attempt at Lyseskarfjellet I was determined to make it to the summit of Hjortåsen this Tuesday.

The weather had improved a little since yesterday, but it was still grey, and it was still tons of wet snow. Hence I brought my snow shoes, which made life a lot easier. Because of the snow I couldn't rely on following a path, but navigation was made easy thanks to a couple of hikers who had been to Hjortåsen within the last few days (the last signature in the registration book was from two days before). When I got to the first of the two tops I was sure I had reached the highest point, but I decided to continue to the northern summit to see if the views were any better there. In terms of views I didn't obtain anything, but according to the detailed maps (I found out after getting back to the hotel) the northern top is a few centimetres higher than the southern top.

After taking some photos and signing the registration book at the southern top I returned to the car, stopped at a local store for some light food, and drove back to my hotel (Bjørnefjorden Gjestetun).
Photos 09.03.2010