Jønshornet from Vollane
Rametinden  Jønshornet


Estimated net time 5-7 hours
Difficulty The hike up to Rametinden, down into the saddle towards Jønshornet, and almost half-way up the steep section is safe and easy.
You are then faced with a steep section 3-4 metres high, where you definitely will need to use your hands. This section is supported by a fixed rope, but make sure the rope can be trusted before you rely too heavily on it (a new rope was put in place summer 2010). On dry rock this scramble is not difficult, and there is no exposure except from the vertical drop directly below you to where you started the scramble.
Above the scrambling section the terrain gets much easier, but there is still some need to use your hands for balance a couple of places.
To get to the very summit you need to crawl underneath a stone, but this poses no difficulties.
The summit is a small place, and is not suitable for jumping around.
Drinking water Several sources of running water through the forest, and also a couple of small stream between the forest and Breidaksla. Above Breidaksla you cannot rely on running water being available.
GSM coverage Coverage throughout the route (October 2010).
Parking Room for several cars at two small car parks on either side of the road around trail head.
Start height 100 metres
Vertical metres 1570 metres for the roundtrip if you include Rametinden twice.
Trip distance 11.4 km
GPS-file X


Route photo

  Jønshornet trail head by Vollane.
  Turn right below Gamlestøylen.
  Towards Breidaksla from above Gamlestøylen.
  The route to Jønshornet seen from Rametinden.
  Scrambling section towards Jønshornet.
  Through hole to Jønshornet summit.


From Ålesund drive road E39 south towards Bergen, and get the ferry from Solevåg to Festøy. From Festøy continue on road E39 3.4 km and turn left where signed for Erdalen. Drive 1.7 km along this road, and park on one of the small car parks on either side of the road, a few metres after you have crossed a small bridge.

Start walking by heading back across the road. Notice a small wooden building on the right hand side of the road, immediately after the bridge. Pass the gate next to the small building and follow the path uphill. After 150 metres along this path you cross a forest road. Continue another 25 metres to a second forest road and turn right. Follow this forest road for 270 metres, to a small bridge and the start of a path. Stay on this path through the spruce forest. Note that there are several branches of this path, but they all come together a little higher up.

Above the spruce forest you get to a path junction below a couple of cabins. Turn right here, following signs for Ramoen (that's another name for Jønshornet). The path soon turns right (south) and from here you should continue south up onto the wide ridge (Breidaksla), ignoring paths forking left (east). As long as your general direction is south and towards the wide ridge you're OK.

After you have passed the flatter section of Breidaksla the path fades away. From here follow the cairns, gradually turning left (east) up to Rametinden. The terrain changes a little, to have more boulder, but hiking is still easy. When you get close to Rametinden summit head up to the highest point, which is marked by a proper cairn. The de-tour to the summit only adds a few tens of metres. You have a first class view of the rest of the route to Jønshornet from Rametinden, and from here the ascent of Jønshornet looks very difficult.

From Rametinden head south-east down into the saddle between Rametinden and Jønshornet. When you start the first easy climb up from the saddle you will find a good path, which you should follow. The path soon gives way to rock and boulder, but from here on the rest of the route is well marked with red paint, all the way to the summit. The red paint takes care of navigation, but you have one technically difficult section to overcome. This section is located around half-way to the summit, and is a corner which requires careful scrambling. This section isn't really exposed, but a fall will definitely hurt. If you trust the rope that is fixed above the corner it will ease the scrambling (this rope was new some time during the summer of 2010). When the scrambling is done the rest of the route goes across mainly large boulder, with some short sections of path here and there.

When you get just below the summit, which is the left (north) of the two possible candidates, you should turn left and ascend from the north. Approximately one metres before you get to the summit you have to crawl under a big stone in order to reach the very summit. There is very little room at the summit, and no cairn, but you will find a registration book inside a metal container.

Descend by reversing your ascent route.



02. October 2010

I had made one previous attempt on climbing Slogen, together with Pål back in July 1999, but we had to abandon because of thick fog. Since then I have been keen on visiting this classic Hjørundfjorden mountain, but have always been thinking something like "Jønshornet is there, and it will remain there for many years". But Friday this week I decided to have a go the day after, in particular since there were fair weather forecasts.

Climbing Ørsta mountains means I have to spend a fair bit of time travelling, both driving and ferry, and Jønshornet would take some 2½+ hours. Hence I decided to leave home early in order to be back home while there was still time to do some work in the garden, play football with the kids, or whatever. I left home 07:15, got the 08:10 ferry, and was on my way up along the path from Vollane at 08:35. When I set out from Vollane another hiker also started, some 20 metres behind me, and he said he was also going to Jønshornet, For some reason I never saw him again, but his car was still on the car park when I returned.

The hike through the forest was easy walking, but as I got above the forest and headed towards Breidaksla I was met by a relatively strong wind. This made me a little concerned since I hadn't brought a big jacket, and I assumed the wind to get stronger as I gained more altitude. But the wind gradually got weaker as I got close to Rametinden, and from the saddle between Rametinden and Jønshornet the wind wasn't an issue any longer, for the rest of the hike.

After having enjoyed fine views of Rametinden, and having had a first class view of the rest of my route up the steep north side of Jønshornet, I started to mentally prepare myself for more challenging hiking. But the challenges took some time to materialise; the first part of the climb up from the saddle was very easy indeed, and I was almost thinking that this was going to be plain sailing when I got into trouble. My problems started a few metres before I got to the scrambling section where a rope has been put in place, and the problems were caused by ice. I'm not a big fan of ice unless I'm ice-skating or have crampons, and today I had neither. In fact, I'm not sure crampons would have made much difference since I was faced with a thin layer (1-2 cm) of ice above the rock. My first problem was to get up the last couple of metres to the lower end of the rope, and I needed several attempts before I found secure footing. I really felt uncomfortable, and had to push myself hard no to have a second failed attempt at Jønshornet. The carrot was the rope, which would mean security at least as long as the rope lasted (and the rope looked pretty new so I assumed it was safe). When I finally made it to the rope I used the rope to climb the steep section, but I'm sure under normal conditions this rope isn't really required. However, with a number of the normal hand and foot holds covered with ice it would not have been comfortable (for me) to climb this section without the rope. I'm not even sure I would have taken on the climb at all under these conditions. Above the rope I faced more ice, but there were sufficient number of places where the rock wasn't covered with ice so I proceeded at snail's pace (as opposed to not moving at all). But the icy patches didn't last for long, and from then on it was easy walking and scrambling across the large boulder, and even some stretches of gravel path.

Just below the summit I was a bit uncertain about which of the two candidate rocks was the higher, but after some negotiations with myself I decided to have a go first at the one I was standing just below, and this proved to be the correct one. A few scramble moves later, then through the hole, and I was at the summit. But I knew very well that the hike wasn't done by then, and had some major concerns about the descent in the back of my head. It's good then that I have had the pleasure of learning from others, and my best teacher has been Arnt, who on several occasions have reminded me that "worry about problems when you face them, and not when they are still only a possible problem". Or something like that ...

At the summit there was no space for much moving around, but I got myself comfortable, changed into some dry clothes (I had walked quite hard before the icy sections so my inner layer was soaking wet), enjoyed a sandwich, and took a lot of photos. Unfortunately it wasn't the brightest of days, but the views were still very impressive. It was a little cold, but I was starting to get very happy!

Next on the agenda was the descent, and I reminded myself that I should enjoy the descent, and then worry about possible problems in the icy area when I got there. But I must admit I did have a look for alternative routes as I descended towards the more problematic area.

When I got to the icy section above the rope I decided to sit down and slowly slide down, and making sure that if I lost the grip I would only slide a few metres, as opposed to off the mountain. This method worked fine, and I made good progress down to the rope. Here I did an inspection of the rope and the way it was secured around a stone, and concluded I would trust it 100%. And hence the descent down the rope section was fairly straight forward. My only remaining problem was the last couple of metres from the end of the rope and onto safer ground. To be sure I wouldn't have any problems I took a 2m long rope I always carry, and secured it around the end of the rope, making a loop of my rope into the end loop of the fixed rope. I then had an extra metre of rope, which was just sufficient to get onto rock. I could then untie my knot and my loop was now a rope that could be pulled through the loop of the fixed rope. I still had a few metres of icy terrain, but here it was a lot of boulder, so I would at worst slip and fall, not slip and fall and slide a long distance.

The rest of the descent was done with a big grin on my face, and I even revisited the summit of Rametinden, sucking in all the views and beauty of Jønshornet and the other mountains. From Rametinden I changed into running mode, only stopping three times when meeting other hikers. The first person I met, above Breidaksla, was a single man. I chatted a little with him, and he told me he had spoken with a guy who had told him he had replace the rope this summer. Soon after I met a younger couple, who were also planning to climb Jønshornet. I told all three of them about my experience, emphasising that if you got above the rope the rest of the climb would be plain sailing. The last person I met was a single woman (well, she had a dog), and she told me she was not going to Jønshornet but was out with two men hunting grouse.

From then on it was constant running back down to the car, a quick change of clothes, and as usual a chocolate and a Coke at the local store before catching the ferry with a couple of minutes margin. Back home I ended up going more or less directly for a hike to Heimste Synnalandsheia together with Elisabeth.

Photos 02.10.2010