Leirvågfjellet from Sundsmyra


Estimated net time 45-60 minutes
Difficulty No difficulties.
Drinking water No access to drinking water.
GSM coverage Coverage throughout the route (March 2009).
Parking Room for many cars at trail head.
Start height 44 metres
Vertical metres 210 metres for the roundtrip
Trip distance 1.8 km
GPS-file X
Route photo  After having crossed the Sundsmyra sports field turn left into the forest.


From Ålesund drive road E39 towards Bergen/Hareid/Sulesund. Turn left towards Bergen, staying on road E39, and drive 750 metres. Then turn left where signed for "Leirvågen", and turn immediate left again. After 80 metres turn right and follow signs for "Sundsmyra". You are now on the road called "Leirvågdalen". After 200 metres the road forks, and you should stay right. Follow the road to its end. Here you will have a car park on your left, and further driving is blocked by a bar at the end of the car park.

Start walking by crossing the bar and then cross the sports field. At the end of the sports field you will find yourself on a gravel road. Turn left almost immediately after hitting the road and follow the wide path through the forest, slightly uphill, for a little more than 100 metres. Just as the path starts to curve right you turn left onto a boggy path. Follow this path all the way to the summit. Note that close to the summit there is a trigonometric point (251 metres), but the actual summit is around 100 metres south of this (there is no doubt what is the summit).

The descent is easiest done by following the ascent route.



14. March 2009

I was spending the week-end at our cabin at Fjellsetra together with two friends and a total of six 13 year old boys. This Saturday three of the boys were going to Langevåg for an evaluation session for the district team for boys 13, and being their coach it was natural that I did the driving while the others went skiing at Fjellsetra. Since it was a fantastic day, I soon decided to pay a visit to the lowest of the three proper Sula mountains while the boys were playing football. I assumed I would be away no more than an hour, and there wasn't much I could do at the football pitch anyway.

I located the trail head without any problems, thanks to the excellent route description made available by Arnt, and at 11:50 I was on my way. I reached the summit in less than 15 minutes, and was greeted by very good views almost all around. And the weather was simply splendid, which also was promising for the afternoon's planned skiing across Roaldshornet and Kleivdalsfjellet from Hevsdalen to Drabløsskogen.

After having enjoyed the views and captured some of it on "film" I headed back to Langevåg, where I was pleased to find out that the 5-player teams "my boys" played for had bagged 12 wins, 6 draws and only 2 losses.

After the football it was back to Fjellsetra to pick up two other dads, and then across to Stranda for a memorable afternoon's skiing.

Photos 14.03.2009