Meall Ghaordaidh from Duncroisk
Meall Ghaordaidh


Estimated net time 4-5 hours
Difficulty No difficulties and the whole path runs on relatively firm ground.
Drinking water No stable access to running water except at the beginning of the hike.
GSM coverage Coverage throughout the route (May 2015).
Parking Room for a couple of cars at trail head.
Start height 145 metres
Vertical metres 900 metres for the roundtrip.
Trip distance 9.6 km
GPS-file X


Route photo

  Meall Ghaordaidh trail head at Duncroisk.


Start measuring from Killin, at the west end of Loch Tay. Find the exit towards "Moirlanich Longhouse", on the south side of the river, and follow it past the Longhouse and up to where it meets another road. Turn left and follow this merged road a total of 2.6 km (1.6 mi). Note the exit towards Meall Ghaordaidh approximately 100 metres before you get to the only car park opportunity, which is where you need to park (on the right hand side of the road, where it's slightly wider).

Start your hike by walking 100 metres back towards the exit to Meall Ghaordaidh and turn left through a gate. Follow the clear dirt road a few hundred metres, cross another gate, and head uphill towards another fence. Cross this fence and now take on the long hill going towards the summit. When you get above the 850 metres line the terrain gets a little steeper but there are no difficulties to be expected.

Return by reversing your ascent route.



21. May 2015

Erling, Håvard and I had been messing around a little, but then finally found our target of the day; Meall Ghaordaidh. The route of ascent was very much straight forward, all the way up to a couple of hundred metres below the summit. From here it got a tiny bit more cumbersome, but the reminder of the route wasn't anything more than straight forward. Erling and I waited for Håvard at the summit, but after a few minutes of waiting we decided to call it a day and instead walk down to meet him. I guess we walked something like 300 metres before we met him, and from here it was another go back up to the summit.

The second descent from the summit wasn't any more challenging than the first go, and after another 1:15 hours of descent we were back down to our car.

Photos 21.05.2015