Storehaugen from Sogndal airport


Estimated net time 4-5 hours
Difficulty No difficulties.
Drinking water No access to drinking water except from a couple of unreliable small creeks near the top with the masts.
GSM coverage Unknown (June 2009).
Parking Room for many cars at the car park at trail head.
Start height 500 metres
Vertical metres 815 metres for the roundtrip
Trip distance 14.2 km
GPS-file X
Route photo  Start of forest road to Storehaugen, by Sogndal airport.


From the intersection of roads 5 and 55 a few hundred metres east of Sogndal drive road 5 towards Lærdal. Turn right after 8.6 km, following signs for "Sogndal lufthamn" (Sogndal airport). Turn right again 700 metres later, still following signs for "Sogndal lufthamn". This road takes you up the east slopes of the mountain, and after 7.6 km makes a 90° left down to the airport car park. Instead of turning left continue straight ahead a few metres onto a gravel car park. Park here.

Start walking by continuing south-west on the gravel road behind the gate. Follow this road all the way to the big antennas at Storehaugfjellet. When you get to the second antenna you will see the summit approximately 1 km to the north. You will also see a path that goes north/north-east down in the saddle between the two tops. Follow this path, and then turn left (west) and follow the ridge to the summit.

The descent is best done by reversing the ascent route.



27. June 2009

After my first class morning hike to Molden it was time for the boys' final game at this year's Sognefjord Lerum Cup. After the match we all went down to the fjord for a refreshing swim, followed by well deserved pizza. I then went back to our accommodation site (I was now back in Sogndal, after having spent one night at Skjolden), and started preparing an evening hike. I didn't fancy a long drive, so an obvious candidate was Storehaugen.

At around 4pm I drove across to Kaupanger and up to the airport, and started my hike at 16:35, with the sun trying its best to dehydrate me. The hike along the service road to the large telecomm installation was much harder than I had anticipated, and when I got to the antennas I was actually a bit disappointed to see that there was a second summit around a kilometre to the north. There was a man standing by the antenna when I got there and I asked him if this second top was higher than the point where we were now standing. He told me that from what he knew this other point was a couple of metres higher. That left me with no other choice than to head across to that point. This part of the route was on a path, which made for much nicer walking than the incredibly boring service road I had followed to the antennas.

After having enjoyed the views, cooled my head in some snow, and taken a number of photos, I headed back across to the antennas. From here I ran slowly all the way back to the car, where I met a second man. We talked a little, and he also said that the highest point was the one north of the antennas. At least that made me even more happy I had made the effort across to this point.

Next on the agenda was the drive back to Sogndal, before joining the boys for some football. I had hoped that by the time I got back the boys would be done with their football, but that wasn't the case so I had to join in despite being very exhausted. After an hour of football I had to throw in the towel, realising I was desperate for food and re-hydration.

Photos 27.06.2009