Straumshornet up along north ridge


Estimated net time 2½-3 hours
Difficulty Good path all the way, but the area in the mountain's east wall is steep. Close to the summit you can choose between an airy route or the path which has no exposure. Be aware of loose gravel in places, in particular when descending, and in particular in Fet-råsa (the "Fet" path).
Drinking water No access to drinking water.
GSM coverage Coverage throughout the route.
Parking Room for many cars at trail head.
Start height 377 metres
Vertical metres 610 metres for the roundtrip
Trip distance 4.5 km
GPS-file X
Route photo   Overview of route to Straumshornet.
Upper part of route to Straumshornet.


This is the easiest and nicest route to Straumshornet, offering nice views throughout the hike.

From the ferry at Aursneset drive road 60 for 4.3 km towards Stranda, and turn left where it is signed for "Vik" and "Museum". After having left road 60, turn first right and drive for 700 metres until you get to a Hydro/Texaco petrol station (July 2007). Just before this petrol station turn left and drive for 600 metres until you get to an unmanned toll gate (NOK 20, July 2007). Continue for another 3.6 km until you get to the next pay gate (also NOK 20, July 2007. From this pay station drive another 1.8 km and find parking along the gravel road. You now have a fantastic view of Straumshornet's north ridge.

Start walking by crossing the partly boggy area on the right (west) side of a small fenced area. After 300 metres, where the forest starts, you get onto a forest road, which almost immediately becomes a good path. Follow this path through the forest, upwards and south. When you get above the forest this path continues along Straumshornet's north ridge. At around 720 metres the path turns left (east), and takes you around to the east side of Straumshornet. The path is of good quality, but there is no room for mistakes as the mountain side falls steep down on your left. But it is not difficult, and there is no need for use of hands or any safety equipment.

At around 810 metres you will be traversing the east side of Straumshornet horizontally for about 100 metres. 20-30 metres after this horizontal part of the path starts there is a path going off to the right (Fet-råsa), which is an alternative route to the summit. This route description uses the Fet-råsa as the descent route. After the horizontal section the path starts to climb again, and will take you up to the south ridge of Straumshornet. The path doesn't follow this ridge but is located a few metres to the east of the ridge itself. If you don't have a head for height you should follow the path. Alternatively ascend all the way to the ridge and follow this to the summit.

The summit is not a big place, and some care should be shown when moving around, but there are no dangerous places unless you want to explore your own head for height. Note that the point 976, which is being used as the height of Straumshornet on maps, is located further north than the actual high point.

In order to descend via Fet-råsa you start your descent by going straight down to the east, instead of going back along the south ridge. There is a good path all the way, but some loose gravel calls for some care. At around 810 metres you will be joining the ascent route, which you follow back to the car.



17. August 2011

I had planned for quite a while to offer colleagues the opportunity to hike Straumshornet, and this week my motivation for getting something organized was higher than ever since colleague Mike was in town. And when the weather forecast for Wednesday looked OK I decided on Monday to call for an expedition on Wednesday after work.

A number of people were invited, but all the locals threw in the towel on Wednesday, so we ended up being seven hikers. But with only me as a local we suddenly had the problem of having only one car. My first thought was to see if we had any company cars available, but when this failed I thought I had to give two of the potential hikers the bad news that they would have to stay behind. This scenario was soon put to rest as Tore kindly offered to drive some of us all the way to the ferry, and pick us up when returning. This would leave us with me having to do two rounds of driving on the other side of the fjord, but was better than leaving people behind. But we managed to do even better, since Tore was willing to lend us his car if we could drive him home after work. Excellent spirit!

There were a few other cars at the small car park by trail head so we expected to meet hikers along our route. On a mountain like Straumshornet I'm not too found of other hikers because of the loose stones in the east side, but I assume most hikers show care.

After having hiked through the nice birch forest our group of seven were starting to be stretched out due to different physical condition amongst us, and James and Jos were well ahead. But I had given them orders to wait for us at the plateau before the north wall in order to make sure they didn't take on the east side on their own, since there are a number of paths going up here, and I wanted us to do this hike via the south ridge while ascending and then come straight down Fet-råsa upon descent. Because of the differences in fitness it was suggested that those who would definitely make it to the top should push ahead, and then the rest would follow at a pace that suited them. hence James, Jos, Mike and me geared up, leaving Martha, Terry and Tor behind. Ideally I would have liked to be in both groups, but when I had to choose it was an easy decision to make to stay with the group heading up the more difficult part of the mountain, where also navigation would become a little critical. Also I had a suspicion that Martha's team might not make it at all.

The four of us in front kept a good pace up the steep east slopes, and none of us had any problems with the easy scrambling. But it had clearly been raining a bit lately, so there were some wet rock, and also some slightly slippery soil. No problems. Just below the bridge I found a path I haven't seen before, taking us out to the left and straight onto the bridge, without having to do the climbing moves just below the bridge.

I had warned the others about the bridge, and made sure everyone would cross it in a way they were comfortable with, or alternatively go back down a little and cross beneath the bridge. To make things a little easier for the others I crossed the bridge first, having the advantage of having crossed it on several occasions previously, and then positioned myself to take photos as the others passed. First was James, who crossed without any problems, and then Jos followed in the same fine style. When it was Mike's turn I could see him hesitating, so I quite quickly reminded him of the options (crawl or bypass below), but I could also see that he really wanted to do the crossing. One of the reasons is that he likes his hiking and wanted to expose himself in order to be better prepared when doing more serious hikes. After having considered the options he decided to use his hands while crossing, but pushed himself further than any of the others, so was definitely the one who gained most from this passage. Very good!

After the bridge we enjoyed the exposed ridge to the summit, stopping a couple of times to enjoy the 900 metres drop down on our left hand side. At the summit we did the usual rounds of photos, but unfortunately the neighbouring mountains were mainly covered by clouds. But we had fine views towards the valley below us, and also out to the fjord.

We didn't spend much time at the summit since we were wondering how our colleagues were doing. Hence we started our descent, and soon saw the other three on their way up Fet-råsa. We waved at them and decided to descend and then walk back up together with them. But when we got down to where we expected to meet them it turned out they had turned around, assuming we were on our way down to the cars. My initial thought was that this was very unfortunate, but some further explanation tells me that they probably made the right decision, since at least on of them was quite exhausted by now, and one wasn't terribly found of exposed terrain. Hopefully I can bring them all the way to the summit on another occasion.

Back at the cars we drove straight to the ferry, where we were pleased to see that we only had a ten minutes wait for the next ferry. From the ferry we drove to Tore's house who kindly drove some of the hikers back their hotels. I took the other lot back to their hotel before heading home, after a very enjoyable evening.

Photos 17.08.2011



10. October 2008

Elisabeth had never been to this superb mountain, so when this Friday during the autumn school holidays produced fine weather we decided to have a go. We set off from Hindaholen just after noon, and made it to the top in a little more than an hour, stopping many times to enjoy the views and taking photos.

It was quite windy along the north ridge, and at the summit the wind was a little dangerous; when I was taking my panorama photos I was caught by a severe blast and had to throw myself around and grab hold of the cairn in order to stay upright. Not terribly dramatic, but given the small space on the summit there was major danger of a lethal fall.

Photos 10.10.2008



22. August 2008

My colleague Marc, who is working in Norway for one year, is keen on getting a number of the Møre & Romsdal mountains bagged before heading back home to the UK. You cannot do them all in one year, so it is worth picking the more interesting mountains. He has looked at Straumshornet on a number of occasions on his way to the Strandafjellet ski-resort, and I suggested that Straumshornet should be one of the mountains to get ticked off.

We left work just after 16:00 this Friday and met at the ferry port at Magerholm, taking only my car across since I was going to my cabin after the hike. The weather was a bit dodgy, with clouds down to around 1000 metres but the Straumshornet summit was clear of the clouds when we sailed across the fjord.

At 17:35 we were ready to start our hike, and Marc set off at a murderous pace. Fortunately it didn't last further than up to the flat section on the north ridge. From here we traversed around the summit on the east side before starting the ascent up to the "bridge". We both crossed the bridge in fine style and made our way up along the ridge. I asked Marc if he wanted some photos taken with him sitting on the ridge, but he wasn't sure he was up to it. But Marc isn't the type of guy who says "no" on the assumption that he will not make it, so he headed up to a suitable point for some spectacular shots to evaluate his own ability to tackle exposure. As I expected, he walked all the way out to the edge and sat down with his legs hanging out in the open air, 900 metres above the valley. I'm not sure he felt terribly comfortable, but this is the kind of things you ought to do in order to accustom yourself to exposure.

After the photo session we headed up to the summit, and then across to the registration book at 976 metres. Unfortunately the view was seriously obstructed by the thick clouds that were everywhere around us down to 1200 metres, but Straumshornet is one of those mountains where the most impressive view is down towards the valley floor, and this view we could enjoy in full.

After a while at the summit we headed down Fet-råsa. Here we found a few cloudberries, allowing Marc to have his first view and taste of these slightly rare berries. Further down we met a young couple on their way up. They did not look like locals on their daily/weekly Straumshornet visit, so I asked if they had been here before. They said they hadn't, so I suggested they rather walk up to the "bridge" and the ridge in order to experience some of the beauties of this mountain, in stead of the more boring Fet-råsa. They thanked for the advice and headed in the right direction. We headed back down to the car, happy that the clouds had stayed above Straumshornet throughout our hike.

Photos 22.08.2008



04. July 2007

Ever since I first started visiting the Sykkylven/Fjellsetra area in 2001 I had admired Straumshornet. The last couple of years I had played with the though of making an attempt of getting to its summit, but though it "not for me". When I started doing a little bit research I found that this mountain is actually very accessible. So when my colleagues Torgeir and Torill started talking about arranging an afternoon hike to Straumshornet I was "all in". Torill did the final organising of setting something up, and it was decided to do Straumshornet after work Wednesday 4th July.

During my morning hike to Heimste Synnalandsheia I mentioned the planned hike to Johannes, and he was positive. Some more recruitments were also done throughout the day, and we ended up being twelve persons meeting at the Straumshornet trail head (Torill, Arnt, Stig, Bård, Ingunn, Eilif, Einar, Johannes, Torgeir, Torgeir's son Simon (12), Simon's friend Sondre (13) and myself).

We did moderate pace up the north ridge, except for the two fit boys (cross-country skiers tend to be fit . . . . .). As we started to turn left into Straumshornet's east side the boys had a clear lead on the "peloton". Stig and me decided enough is enough and started the chase. This run caused us to miss the Fet-råsa exit, but we managed to catch up with the boys.

Further up Arnt, Stig and me were leading the pack. For some reason we missed the path at some point and ended up having to use the arms at one point. We passed this point with some concentration, but the rest of the team behind us preferred to stay on the path and hence moved upwards more rapidly.

As we got up to the south ridge most of us decided to cross the stone that is wedged into the gap in the mountain. Arnt was very adamant that we should pass this point without use of hands, and most of us were up to the challenge. If you fall to the left at this point you simply die. Falling to the right will cause severe damage, at best. Some in the team did however decide to follow the much less exposed route of the path. From here we continued the last <100 metres up to the summit.

At the summit Eilif was referring to a conversation he once had had when flying across Sunnmørsalpane from his home town Oslo to Ålesund; "has anyone been to all the mountains?". Bård didn't need much thinking before answering "I haven't been to the mountain over there, and not that one to the north". We all had a good laugh, and agreed that that counts for "all" in this setting.

As we were admiring the view from the summit another hiker joined us at the top, and then two other hikers. The first of these came up via Fet-råsa so we decided to give this path a go for the descent. It was clear that Fet-råsa is a quicker route than via the south ridge, but the loose gavel in Fet-råsa is reason for concern.

We arrived back down at the cars in several groups, and then drove back to Aursneset together. We were lucky, having to wait 12-15 minutes for the ferry => plenty of time for everyone to buy an ice cream this wonderful July evening.

Photos 04.07.2007