Tinden from Hevsdalen (ski)


Estimated net time 5-6 hours
Difficulty No difficulties, but you need to be a little careful towards north at the summit because of potential cornice. You should also make sure you avoid the cornice towards north-east around 1140 metres, where the south-east slope is at its narrowest.
Drinking water No access to drinking water during winter.
GSM coverage Very patchy through Langedalen valley, but coverage around both trail head and summit (February 2010).
Parking Parking at the large car park by the Strandafjellet ski-centre. There is a fee during week-ends (NOK 30 per 2010).
Start height 455 metres
Vertical metres 1170 metres for the roundtrip.
Trip distance 12.7 km
GPS-file X


Route photo

  Start of route towards Tinden.
  Stay right of this old ski-lift installation in order to get into Langedalen valley.


From Ålesund drive road E39 south, and then onto road 60 at Spjelkavik. Follow signs for Stranda, and drive to Magerholm. Take the ferry across to Aursneset, and then drive 29.4 km towards Stranda on road 60, until you get to the Strandafjellet ski-centre. Park on the large car park on the left hand side of the road (NOK 30 per 2010).

Cross the road and start skiing up the right-most piste, as seen from road 60. When you get to the top of the ski-lift that runs on your left hand side, stay right of the old ski-lift installation and head down into the valley west of Langedalsegga. Ski a few tens of metres along the flat section of the valley and then head up the small steep incline. Continue past Langedalsegga, and stay right of the small top at 920 metres. You now have Tinden directly ahead of you, and you need to ski directly south to the bottom of the south-east slopes of Tinden, down to 740 metres. Gradually turn right (west) in order to get onto the south-east slopes, and follow broad ridge all the way to the summit. There is a cairn located a few tens of metres east of the summit.

The descent is best done by reversing the ascent route.



06. February 2010

We were spending this week-end at our cabin at Fjellsetra. This Saturday was a gorgeous day, and Andreas, Ole-Jørgen and Sigurd wanted to go skiing at Strandafjellet ski-centre. I easily volunteered to drive them there, with plans to do some skiing myself in the area. My plan was to ski Tuvegga, but I had also looked at the map for possible routes to Tinden, which I hadn't been to before.

When I got up towards the top of Langedalen valley and got Tinden in view straight ahead, I changed my mind about Tuvegga and decided to go for Tinden, knowing that this would add a couple of hours to my hike. When I got to the small top south-west of Langedalsegga I considered heading towards Tuvegga in order to climb Tinden from north, via Tindeskardet, but after a moment of hesitation I decided to play safe and continue south and ascend Tinden from south-east.

Skiing down towards the foot of the south-east slopes of Tinden was pure joy, with perfect snow and a bright sun. But the perfect snow soon ended as I stated my ascent of Tinden; up here there was a mix of icy patches, wind-packed snow, and large areas of hardly any snow at all. I therefore decided to take off my skis at around 900 metres, partly to get an easier ascent, but most importantly to get an easier descent. But walking up the icy areas without crampons was hard work, having to kick quite hard into the ice in order to get a proper grip. When I got above the flat section around 1150 metres things changed and it was nice and firm snow.

At the summit I was a bit concerned about the cornice towards north-west, but after having walked back and forth a little I was convinced I was standing on solid ground at the highest point. By now I was very exhausted, and having brought only 0.7 litres of water didn't help much. After having taken photos and enjoyed the fine views I started my descent, which was easier than the ascent but still hard work because of the ice.

Back at the skis I continued a little further down before I put on my skis, and then started the ascent back up to Langedalen. From here it was fine skiing back down to Hevsdalen. I had now been out for 4½ hours and decided to stay at the ski-centre to wait for the boys. The waiting time was killed by killing two bottles of Coke and a large chocolate, as well as changing into dry clothes.
Photos 06.02.2010