Trollvasstinden from Litlebøvatnet


Estimated net time 3-4 hours
Difficulty No difficulties.
Mostly boulder when you get onto the ridge, but also a fair bit of vague path.
Drinking water No stable access to running water.
GSM coverage Coverage along the ridge, but not below (July 2012).
Parking Room for many cars at car park by trail head.
Start height 657 metres
Vertical metres 730 metres for the roundtrip.
Trip distance 7.1 km
GPS-file X


Route photo

  Route to Trollvasstinden's north ridge.


From Volda, on road E39, get the ferry across to Folkestad. Turn right onto the road "Dalsfjordvegen" 100 metres after the ferry, and drive 14.4 km around the north tip of the peninsula and then south along the east shores of Dalsfjorden. Turn left onto the road "Dalsbygdvegen" and drive 1.8 km uphill, making sure you turn left after 900 metres in order to stay on Dalsbygdvegen. Then turn left onto a gravel road and follow this road 4.6 km to lake Litlebøvatnet. Find parking on the car park close to the end of the road.

Start your hike by heading south across the flat section west of the lake, staying left of the distinct moraine. Then climb onto the ridge where you see fit (there's no proper path), and turn left and follow the ridge up to point 1230. From here descend south-east, noting that the easiest terrain is close to the edge. When you get down into the saddle west of Trollvasstinden you will find a vague path which can be follow to the summit. At the summit there is a proper cairn which is likely to hold a summit registration book.

Descend by reversing your ascent route.



05. July 2012

This Thursday was my second day at Hjørungavåg for work this week, and I had decided to hike Trollvasstinden if we finished work at a reasonable hour and the weather was OK. When both factors were positive, with no rain, temperature above 20°C by sea level, no wind, and I was able to catch the 16:30 ferry from Volda to Folkestad, I really couldn't ask for more.

I had some issues finding the right exit from the road going uphill to Litlebøvatnet, but thanks to good guiding from a local I received driving directions and also good advice on the hike. And from then on everything was more or less straight forward, all the way to the summit. There were a couple of sections of snow that I had to cross, but the snow was firm without being hard, so was easy to cross and made for promising descent.

At the summit I had some impressive views in all directions, and I was very happy I had decided to take on this hike. And the descent was also enjoyable thanks to two sections of relatively steep snow, which allowed me to "ski" down, and I even did some slalom skiing despite the lack of steel edges on my boots.

Back at Folkestad I had to wait 55 minutes for the next ferry, and with yet another ferry to catch it was almost 23:30 before I got home, after a hike that will not be forgotten.
Photos 05.07.2012