Våttåsen from Skjølbakken


Estimated net time Not more than one hour.
Difficulty No difficulties.
Drinking water The water from the stream in the forest before you hit the forest road is likely to be OK to drink.
GSM coverage Unknown, but probably at best very patchy (April 2015).
Parking Room for many cars at car park by trail head.
Start height 210 metres
Vertical metres 130 metres for the roundtrip.
Trip distance 2.3 km
GPS-file X


Route photo

  Våttåsen trail head by Skjølbakken.


From Trondheim centre drive road E6 10.4 km south from Elgeseter bridge on the south side of the city centre (the bridge crossing river Nidelva). Turn right towards road 704 and Klæbu, drive 300 metres and turn right towards road 704 and Klæbu, and then turn right in the round about and continue to follow signs for Klæbu. Drive another 3.1 km and park on the large car park on the right hand side of the road.

Start your hike by crossing the main road and follow the gravel road on the other side. Follow the gravel road 125 metres and turn left uphill on another gravel road. After another 80 metres leave the gravel road towards left and cross the marsh towards left. Look for two old wooden poles and a path leading into the forest. Follow this path a few tens of metres through the forest and turn left onto a forest road. Walk 90 metres uphill and turn right onto a much rougher forest road going steep uphill. At the top of this forest road, after 140 metres, make sure you fork left and then follow this forest road until it fades away after yet another 140 metres. From here continue north-west uphill another 300 metres to the unmarked summit.

Descend by reversing your ascent route.



12. April 2015

We were in Trondheim for girls & boys-14 regional handball play-offs, and after two wins on Saturday there were potentially three games this Sunday, at 10:00, 12:00 and the final at 14:00. My only real opportunity for a hike was before the first game so I set off from the hotel just before 7am, and started hiking at 07:20.

It was a grey and cold morning, with some wet snow in the air and poor visibility, but I had ensured I had way-points loaded to my GPS so was quite confident I would find my way to the summit. And after a small de-tour across the marsh after I had left the gravel road it was pretty plain sailing all the way to the summit, where I was greeted with zero views amongst the trees. Hence it was a very short summit stop before heading back down and then back to the hotel for a warm shower and a good breakfast.

Photos 12.04.2015